RACT Driver Training has highly experienced instructors and is conveniently located in Hobart, Launceston, Devonport and Burnie. Book online here or call 1300 761 429.
Our RACT Driver Training service provides:
- More emphasis on life-long driving skills.
- A positive attitude to safe driving underpinned by proven methodology.
- Highly qualified driving instructors.
- 50-minute lessons.
- Modern air-conditioned dual-controlled vehicles.
- Automatic and manual lessons available statewide.
- Multiple lesson packages at discounted rates.
- Government recognised L2 licence assessments.
- General driving assessments for licensed drivers looking for an assessment of their driving competence.
- Low-risk courses offering practical and theoretical sessions.
- Business Safety Essentials workshops for organisations that have staff that drive as an extension of the workplace.
- Keys2Drive information evenings and Keys2Drive FREE lesson.
Below are the steps to gaining a licence in Tasmania:
To hold an L1 licence, you must pass a theory test of the Tasmanian road rules at a Service Tasmania outlet. This can be practiced online on the transport website.
L1s – You must hold your L1s for a minimum of three months before you are able to sit the L2 assessment. L2 assessments can be booked with your RACT instructor for your convenience and peace of mind.
L2s – Once the L2 assessment has been passed, you have nine months to log 50 hours of driving. Once this has been achieved, a P1 assessment can be sat through the Department of State Growth. P-plate assessments can now be booked through RACT using the State Growth/Service Tasmania online portal – ask our friendly RACT Driver Training staff for details.
P1 – You must hold your P1s for a minimum of 12 months without losing your licence or committing a P1 restart offence.
P2 – The length of time you must hold your P2 licence for varies with your age:
- 18 to under 23 – two years.
- 23 to under 25 – 12 months or until aged 25 (whichever is longer).
- Over 25 – 12 months.
If you undertake a practical driving test in an automatic vehicle you will be issued with a licence restricting you to driving only automatic vehicles for that particular class.
If you hold an L1, L2, P1 or P2 licence without infringement for the entire time you can be reimbursed the costs associated with the licensing. Please note this does not include the cost of the lesson process.
Please Note: All Driver Training lessons depart from our RACT Driver Training locations in Hobart (62 Patrick Street), Launceston (85 Cimitiere Street), Burnie (24 North Terrace ) and Devonport (68 Rooke Street).