At RACT Insurance, flood and storm cover comes standard. If you're an RACT customer and you've been impacted by the recent storms and floods throughout Tasmania, call us on 13 27 22 for immediate assistance. As an RACT Insurance customer, you and your family may have access to temporary accommodation services, so making contact is critical to getting the claims process under way. We'll guide you through the entire process and try to make your experience as stress-free as possible.
What do you mean by 'flooding'?
Flooding is the result of an overflow of water from a natural water course, such as a river or creek or body of water such as a lake or dam. It doesn't mean water that has entered your home through an opening that has resulted from lack of or poor maintenance, or damage caused by tidal wave, storm surges, tsunami or high tide.
My home and property have been damaged in the storm - what should I do?
- Return to your property when emergency services declare it safe to do so
- Only enter your property when you are certain you are not at risk
- If water has entered the property, don't turn on your electricity until it has been inspected by an electrician
- Contact RACT Insurance as soon as possible to check what your policy includes or excludes, and seek guidance on the claims process
- You can start cleaning up but first, take pictures or videos of damage to the property as evidence for your claim
- Keep samples of materials and fabrics to show the assessor
- Speak to RACT Insurance before you attempt or authorise any building work, including emergency repairs. Unauthorised work may not be covered by your policy
- Do not throw away goods that could be salvaged or repaired
For more detailed Information Click Here for our RACT Insurance Home Product Disclosure Statement.
Some of my personal and household items have water damage from flooding - what should I do?
- It's important that you call us as soon as possible to check what your policy includes or excludes.
- Remove and discard any water or mud-damaged goods that pose a health risk, such as saturated carpets and soft furnishings
- Make a list of each item and include a detailed description, such as brand, model and serial number
- You can start cleaning up but first, take pictures or videos of damage to possessions as evidence for your claim
- Store damaged or destroyed items somewhere safe
For more detailed information, Click Here for our RACT Insurance Home and Contents Product Disclosure Statement.
I'm an RACT Investor policyholder and one of my buildings was flooded - what should I do?
If your building has been damaged in the storm or flood, we will repair, rebuild, or pay you the cost of repairing or rebuilding your building. Your policy may also include loss of rent, cover for landlord's fittings, and investor contents.
Call us on 13 27 22 to check what your policy includes or excludes, and to receive guidance on the claims process. Enter the building only when it is safe to do so and remember to take photos and document any property damage.
For more detailed information, Click here for our RACT Investor Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.
My car has water damage as a result of the flood - what should I do?
If you're an RACT Car Insurance policyholder, you're covered for storm and flood damage. We'll repair your car, pay you the cost of repairing your car or if your vehicle is a total loss we will pay its Agreed Value. Call us now to make a claim on 13 27 22.
For more information about understanding flood or storm related insurance we recommend sites like http://understanding insurance.com.au
For regular weather updates and evacution and recovery centre notices, listen to ABC local radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au
Road closures and community information is available at www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts