Tasmanians now have access to real-time fuel prices via their mobile device thanks to a partnership between the RACT and GasBuddy.
GasBuddy is a free mobile app that provides the public access to petrol station prices sourced from consumer-submitted data. This means you can not only get the most up-to-date prices in your area, but you can update and share pricing with other users as well.
Simply download the GasBuddy app to your mobile device and register as a user to start saving today.
Click the links below to download today.
Another exciting opportunity GasBuddy provides is 'Tank Takeovers', where motorists will be alerted via the app to an opportunity to get $20 free fuel at a nominated petrol station.
All you have to do is download the app, register as a user and look out for the notification.
Frequently asked questions
How do I download the app?
- Head to the App Store (iPhone) or Google play (Android) and search for 'GasBuddy'.
- Download the app to your device.
- Once loaded onto your phone tap on the 'profile' icon.
- Click on 'sign up'.
- Sign up with your email address and create a user name.
- Follow the rest of the process and then you are registered.
How to update fuel prices
- Open the app and type in your current location.
- A list of fuel prices for stations in your area that are registered will appear, along with when the price was last updated or confirmed.
- You can confirm the price as being correct, or update the price.
I have downloaded the app but how do I register?
Once you have downloaded the app on your phone you need to go to the profile icon and follow the process on how to register as a user. Full instructions can be found on the GasBuddy website.
I am having trouble registering my details on the app, how do I resolve this?
You will need to liaise directly with GasBuddy to lodge an issue with the sign up process.
If I have downloaded the app does that mean I am now registered for the Tank Takeovers and free fuel?
No, you will need to register by heading to the profile icon and following the instructions. You will also need to allow the app to send you alerts. Once you are registered if there is a Tank Takeover you will receive an alert and then you will need to show that you are registered with the app to be eligible.
How does the app work?
The app uses your mobile device to pinpoint your location and provides listings of petrol stations in your area, providing the most up-to-date pricing as recorded by other GasBuddy users. You can also confirm or update prices so other users in your area know they're getting real-time pricing.
My local service station is not on the app?
New stations can be added to the app. To add a station:
- While on the station list screen scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Tap on SUGGEST STATION (Android) / SUGGEST A STATION (iOS).
- Centre the map on the location of the station and tap NEXT.
- Enter the station name, select the available fuel types, then tap SUGGEST STATION
- Station suggestions made from the app are submitted for review. If they are accepted, the station will be added.
I don't have a mobile phone, can I access this information from a desktop?
Unfortunately this service is only available as an app for a mobile device at the moment.
How do I get support with using the app?
To register an issue with the GasBuddy app please visit: