The first week of August saw severe storms batter all areas of the state with high winds and rainfall, and more than 500 claims were received by RACT Insurance with the damage bill expected to be in excess of $1 million.
RACT Insurance prides itself on being local and servicing the changing lifestyles and requirements of all Tasmanians, which starts with assisting those in the community to prepare for these types of events, including what to do when they occur and where to source accurate and timely information.
Preparing for severe weather:
It is important to remember weather conditions can change unexpectedly and precautionary measures should be undertaken and reviewed year-round.
In order to be aware of the hazards and prepare yourself, your home and to protect your loved ones from unexpected weather events, you can start by taking the following precautions:
- Learn about flood risk in your area from your local council
- Develop a flood emergency plan
Learn where to source the most up-to-date information on changing weather conditions in your region, such as www.alert.tas.gov.au or www.bom.gov.au
- Understand the possible impacts of severe weather, including how it will affect you and your surrounding area (refer to www.bom.gov.au)
- Trim or remove trees and branches overhanging your home, business and/or power lines on your property and ensure your gutters are kept clean
- If there are high winds in your area, secure outdoor furniture, trampolines and other items that may get blown around easily
- Put together your Emergency Kit, including items such as a portable radio, first aid kit, torch, batteries, essential medication and a waterproof bag or container for important documents. Additional information about preparing an Emergency Kit can be found at www.ses.tas.gov.au
- Invite the SES to present an awareness and education program to your community group
- Most importantly, stay safe during severe weather conditions and look after your loved ones.
Read the rest of the article, including what to do if you experience damage to your property, on the RACT Member Hub
Don't have a Member hub account yet? Here's how to register