The days are getting longer and the weather is getting a little warmer - Spring is finally here! Here are RACT Insurance's simple spring cleaning ideas for a clutter free home.
- Give cushion covers a wash, or take them outside to dust them.
- Vacuum your rugs and furniture.
- Use a carpet cleaner to give your carpets or rugs a new lease of life - these can be cheaply and easily rented from many local hardware stores and supermarkets.
- Clean or replace your air conditioner filters.
- Clean all of your electronics like your TV and the remote control, game consoles and DVD/Blu-ray players, speakers and soundbars, according to manufacturer instructions.
- Clean your fridge/freezer and discard any food past its use by date. If you have a manual defrost freezer, make sure you defrost it regularly to maintain its efficiency.
- Clean your oven and cooktop.
- Clean your dishwasher and check the hose for any damage that may result in a leak.
- Clean out the crumbs from inside your toaster as they can easily build up and ignite.
- Descale your kettle.
- Clean inside your microwave.
- Clear everything from your kitchen benchtops and give the surface and splashback a thorough clean - you may even notice areas that need to be re-grouted or re-sealed, especially around the sink.
- Empty your cupboards and pantry and clean all the surfaces. As you are replacing items, check for any food that has passed its use by date and throw it away. You can also be ruthless with your utensils, tupperware, cookware and crockery and get rid of anything you dont really use.
- Clear any lint or dust from your extractor fan.
- Whilst cleaning your shower and bathtub, make sure the seal is watertight. If you see cracks in the sealant, replace it. It is very inexpensive and can prevent water from seeping into your floor.
- Clean out your bathroom cupboards.
- Give the lint filters of your clothes dryer a clean - this should be done at least after every use.
- Give your laundry sink and benchtop a thorough cleaning and check the seal around the sink is watertight.
- Check the hose on your washing machine for any damage or leaks. Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses can be a common cause of water loss for homeowners. Make sure it is replaced in accordance with manufacturer guidelines to avoid any disasters. Ideally, do not leave your washing machine unattended whilst in use.
- Remove and wash winter bedding and blankets before storing them for the season. Vacuum bags make great storage space savers for large items like these.
- Vacuum and rotate your mattress.
- Clean and store electric blankets - make sure to store them in accordance with manufacturer guidelines to avoid kinking the elements and also make sure you dont store anything on top of them.
- Spring clean your wardrobe - sort through your clothes and decide what can be discarded, donated or stored.
- Make sure any chemicals and fuels are stored safely in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements. If you have any old paint or varnish that you aren't going to use again, check your local council guidelines for advice on how and where to dispose of it.
- Make sure your electrical points aren't overloaded.
- Clean flyscreens and security grilles on doors and windows and check for any damage which could affect the security of your home.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working
- Make a note of any repair jobs you've noticed while cleaning your home and schedule in a time to get them all sorted.
We all love a good clear out. If you decide to purchase any new items to freshen up your home, just remember to give our friendly team a call on 13 27 22 to make any changes to your insurance policy.