Temporarily taking your car overseas

Travelling by car while overseas is a popular way of touring around different regions. If you are looking at doing this with your own instead of hiring you will find the information you need below.

​​Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD)

Just as you, as a person, require international identification, commonly by way of passport, so does your vehicle.

The document used to identify your vehicle is called a Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD). It is a set of vouchers and Customs simply remove one each time you pass in and out of each country. The Carnet is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and saves time, effort and expense.

It allows visitors to temporarily import their vehicles for a limited period of time with a minimum of formalities and without the need to make a cash deposit at the frontier in local currency, equivalent to the Customs Duty and other taxes.

A Carnet is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into most African, Asian, Middle East, New Zealand and South American countries. More information about a Carnet can be found here.

To apply for a CPD click the link above.

Importation of Vehicles into Indonesia

From the 1st September 2016, CPD Carnet holders are required to inform Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI) of their temporary importation into Indonesia.  The CPD holder/s are required to advise them the following to IMI via email:

If this information is NOT received, The Indonesian Customs Office will not accept any vehicle with a CPD carnet into Indonesia.  Please provide the following; Name, Country, CPD number, Port of Entry to Indonesia, Itinerary Plan in Indonesia, Port of exit from Indonesia.