Stay safe and snug this winter
Did you know that heating is the second-highest cause of home fires in Tasmania? Keep safe and warm in your home with our top tips:
- Install smoke alarms and test them regularly.
- Devise an escape plan and make sure everyone knows. Practice it from time to time, so you know exactly how to get out in an emergency.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Make sure your house and window keys are easily accessible.
- Never smoke in bed or leave candles and other open flames unattended.
- Switch off and unplug appliances when not in use.
- Don't overload your powerpoints and invest in some power boards with surge protection.
- Clean the lint filter of your clothes dryer after every use.
- Keep at least one fire extinguisher and fire blanket within easy reach. Store them away from heat sources.
If a fire does take hold, get yourself and family/pets out and don't go back in for belongings. Dial 000 and wait for the fire service.
You can find out more about home fire safety by visiting the Tasmania Fire Service website.