Stay safe and snug this winter
Did you know that heating is the second-highest cause of home fires in Tasmania? Keep safe and warm in your home with our top tips:
- Install smoke alarms and test them regularly.
- Devise an escape plan and make sure everyone knows. Practice it from time to time, so you know exactly how to get out in an emergency.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Make sure your house and window keys are easily accessible.
- Never smoke in bed or leave candles and other open flames unattended.
- Switch off and unplug appliances when not in use.
- Don't overload your powerpoints and invest in some power boards with surge protection.
- Clean the lint filter of your clothes dryer after every use.
- Keep at least one fire extinguisher and fire blanket within easy reach. Store them away from heat sources.
If a fire does take hold, get yourself and family/pets out and don't go back in for belongings. Dial 000 and wait for the fire service.
Take a look at our home and contents insurance to give you peace of mind for one of your biggest investments.