Driving overseas? Check your International Driving Permit

For many Australians, the Christmas and New Year period brings international travel.

​Whether it's visiting relatives or recharging the batteries before a busy year ahead, if you're planning to drive on your next overseas trip, please ensure your Australian Driver's Licence and International Driving Permit (IDP) are valid.

An IDP is required to rent a motor vehicle in most countries, and you could face serious legal and financial problems if you're found driving or are in an accident without one.

Some rental companies won't allow you to hire a car, which can turn a holiday pear-shaped very quickly if you were planning to drive. Even worse, you could be hit with a significant fine, or your insurance may not be paid if you are in an accident.

It is recommended you obtain a valid IDP before leaving Australia. It allows you to drive legally in more than 150 countries and is valid for 12 months.

Please remember that an IDP is only valid for what you are legally licensed to drive in Australia. For example, if you rent a motorcycle overseas, but are not licensed to drive one in Australia, you will not be covered.​

Applying for an IDP and can be completed online or at the RACT Hobart branch: 179-191 Murray Street, Hobart, TAS, 7000.