Travel writing competition
Have you always dreamed of becoming a travel writer? If so, we've got a great opportunity for you. With our member partner list growing, we're looking for someone to travel (on us!) and tell our members all about their experience in digital Journeys.
Our digital Journeys magazine is sent straight to the inbox of over 95,000 members every two months. This is the perfect chance to have your work read by thousands of Tasmanians and featured on our website.
What you'll need to do?
- Travel to Low Head Pilot Station Cottages and enjoy a two-night stay;
- Enjoy a Tamar River Cruises - Afternoon Cruise experience;
- Take over our Instagram account and share your fun with our members; and
- Write an engaging article about your getaway ready for our digital Journeys magazine.
All before 5pm 21 September 2020.
If this sounds like something you'd love to do, and you're available to do it in the required time frame, then we can't wait to see your entry. Simply send us an email answering the below question in 150 words or less and attach an image or two. It doesn't have to be a pic from that experience, we just want to make sure your images will work for us.
Tell us about your most memorable Tassie experience.
To read more about the prize and some of the finer details, please see our terms and conditions at the bottom of the page. We've also included a link to a couple of our stories below to give you some inspiration and to let you know what we'll be expecting at the end.
How to apply.
Email your submission to us by clicking below and including:
- Your name;
- Your membership number;
- Your preferred contact number;
- Your 150 word answer to the above question; and
- A maximum of two images you've taken to support your entry. You can send us a Dropbox link if they're large.
Entries close Friday 21 August 2020.
Enjoy an afternoon cruise with Tamar River Cruises through our member rewards partner - Experience Oz.
More about your prize
Low Head Pilot Station Cottages
Stay two nights in the Queenslander including sparkling afternoon tea for two upon arrival and gourmet breakfast basket for two.
A bit about the Queenslander
Be neighbours with adorable fairy penguins! The Queenslander is encompassed within national parkland, located between the Penguin Reserve and Low Head Lighthouse.
Relax on your wrap-around veranda and admire magnificent glowing sunsets and stunning sea views with yachts sailing across the water. After the sun sinks into the sea, watch the lighthouse twinkle, hear the penguins natter and look to see a pademelon or two.
On the opposite side of your garden fence is open, rugged national parkland, adorned with either white fluffy bunny tail grass or sheep grazing. This is all just a short walk to Low Head Lighthouse, and pristine local beaches.
The house itself is spacious and heritage listed with high ceilings and packed full of character. There are four bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, a cosy living room, a large kitchen and dining area all adjoined by long polished wood corridors.
We recommend booking a tour with our neighbours, Low Head Penguin Tours where you can get up close to the little blue penguins (runs 365 days of the year).
Tamar River Cruises - Afternoon Cruise
Enjoy an afternoon cruise with Tamar River Cruises for two adults through our member rewards partner Experience Oz.
Cruise into the magical Cataract Gorge and through Launceston's riverfront precinct. Head north past Tamar Island and experience the variety of life as you cruise past charming riverfront communities, vineyards and farms to the historic Rosevears and Windermere districts exploring the history of the St Mathias Church and Rosevears Tavern. The fascinating collection of history, fauna and people at work, rest and play makes an absorbing narrative which will touch, intrigue and inspire and offers one of the best vantage points to view the Tamar Valley.
The 2.5 hour cruise includes a fruit platter, tea and coffee for afternoon tea as well as local beer and wine tasting.
More about what's required from you
When you've chosen the dates you'd like to getaway, we'll organise everything from there. Remember you'll need to supply your story before 21 September so don't forget to factor that in. While you're enjoying your getaway you'll take over our Instagram account. You'll need to:
- Send us some short stories and images suitable for social media.
We'll be here to help the whole time as we want to make it a fun side task and not derail your actual holiday.
When you're back and rested, we'll need your finished story by 21 September 2020. Some quick notes about what this will entail:
- An engaging story around 800-900 words about your adventure finished and ready for publishing.
- Images that we can use online via web and social. They'll need to be in focus and of a suitable resolution. Any images you supply we will own and be able to use across our publishing channels.
- We love collaborating, so we're here to help guide and suggest, we won't leave you feeling overwhelmed.
- We'll proof it for you, and we have the right to make any final edits before it's published online.
We'll tell you more about everything as we go, but we also know it's nice to see what's required upfront. Feel free to email us if you have any questions.
Full promotional T&Cs
Competition Terms and Conditions
1. Information on how to enter and eligibility to be entered into the competition and prize details form part of the conditions.
2. Eligibility for inclusion in this competition is open to all RACT members who hold a valid, unexpired RACT membership with no payment in arrears as at 1 August 2020.
Such persons are eligible to go into the draw, with the following exceptions:
• This competition is restricted to members residing in the state of Tasmania.
• All employees of the promoter and those companies that trade under the RACT brand, and the immediate families of such employees are ineligible to enter.
3. Competition closes at 5pm on 21 August 2020.
4. To make a valid entry, entrants must answer the advertised question in 150 words and include supporting images to [email protected]
5. Prize information:
• One (1) winner will win two (2) nights in The Queenslander cottage at Low Head Pilot Station Cottages including sparkling afternoon tea for two upon arrival and a gourmet breakfast basket for two (2).
• Prize will also include two (2) tickets on a Tamar River Cruises - Afternoon Cruise provided through Experience Oz.
6. The prize winner will be selected on compelling story content and ability to take suitable photographs and be notified by phone on Monday 24 August. Their name and suburb of residence will be published online at www.ract.com.au/membership/journeys/competitions after 30 September 2020.
7. Details as to the collection of the prizes will be provided at the time the prize winners are notified.
8. Should the prize winners wish to accept the prize they must:
a. at the promoter’s request, participate in all promotional activity (such as publicity and photography) surrounding the winning of the prizes, free of charge, and consent to the promoter using their names and images in promotional material;
b. confirm their ability to undertake the activities anticipated and articulated in connection with the prize in the time period required, acknowledging that if the required submissions aren’t made the cost of the prize ($961) shall be borne by them;
c. indemnify RACT for any injury or loss incurred that may arise through the undertaking of the activities articulated in connection with the prize or that otherwise occur during the prize winners fulfilment of the prize, including travel to and from Low Head Pilot Station Cottages;
d. acknowledge that there is no intention for the fulfilment of the activities articulated in this competition that is intended to constitute employment or agency arrangement between the parties;
e. irrevocably grant a royalty-free licence to allow the RACT, its licensees and successors in title, for any purpose and without further recourse to you, to use, reproduce, alter, transform, build upon, publish, perform or communicate to the public your submissions in connection with the competition and prize and any altered, transformed or built upon works that include any element of such submissions, including conversion of your submissions into a different format to that submitted;
f. to the fullest extent possible waive your moral rights to any submissions in connection with this completion or prize and acknowledge and accept that RACT, its licensees and successors in title, may in exercising their right of alteration, or public communication of, your submissions act in a manner that you may feel is derogatory to your submissions;
g. to the extent that any of your submissions contain material that is owned by a third party, you warrant that you have obtained all necessary licences and consents required for the use of those materials (including for the RACT, its licensees and successors in title, to use, reproduce, alter, transform, build upon publish, perform or communicate to the public your submission and any altered, transformed or built upon works that include any element of your submission) and have made arrangements for the payment of any royalties or other fees payable in respect of the use of such material; and
h. agree that the above consents constitute genuine consents under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and has not been induced by duress or any false or misleading statement.
9. In the event of the prizes being refused, not accepted or not claimed by 25 August 2020, the selection of the winner will be declared null and void and a further selection will be made.
10. The prizes or any unused portion of the prizes are non-transferable and cannot be exchanged or taken as cash.
11. The Promoter’s decision is final with respect to all matters relating to the competition and no correspondence will be entered into with respect to those decisions or competition entries.