Stop and smell the flowers
Every summer, lavender erupts in a sea of purple across Tasmania – a spectacle that delights bees and Instagrammers alike. Visit Bridestowe Lavender Estate, north of Launceston to wander 200km-worth of rows at the largest privately-owned lavender farm in the world or travel south to admire the scenic Port Arthur Lavender overlooking the steely waters of Long Bay.
Ready, set, sail
From 26 Dec 2020
The world arrives at Constitution Dock with the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race. As the finish line for this legendary competitive event, Hobart starts to see the elite yachts on the horizon in the days before New Year’s Eve. Cheer on the arrivals from Sullivans Cove or, better yet, get out on the Derwent River.
Summer is on
15-17 January & 22-24 January 2021
After a year when events have been cancelled left, right and centre, leave it to Tasmania’s most audacious cultural juggernaut to boldly forge ahead. Mona’s summer festival Mona Foma is back in 2021 with a special statewide edition, happening over two consecutive weekends in Launceston (15-17 January) and Hobart (22-24 January). Expect to see Tasmanian creatives take centre stage in unexpected venues across both cities. As always, Mona Foma is sure to deliver a genre-bending explosion of art, music and all-round good times. Things are going to get weird, and we can’t wait.
It's a GIN thing
25 Jan 2021
With 30-odd distilleries crafting 100-plus gins, the spirit is becoming as synonymous with Tassie as whisky. See what the fuss is about during Hobart’s annual Gin-uary, which gathers boutique distillers for one glorious gin-filled day.
Don't be a stranger
Until 14 Feb 2021
Don’t miss Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery’s tribute to David Keeling, one of Tasmania’s greatest painters. In the lead-up to his 70th birthday, David Keeling: Stranger at TMAG showcases 70 works by the Launceston-born artist.
Make a note
- Listen Tune into the year that was with Music Tasmania’s New Release Tassie Music 2020 playlist, musictasmania.org
- See Explore the annual Sculpture Prize Exhibition at Woodbridge’s Art Farm Birchs Bay, until 17 Jan.
- Read Tassie writer Robert Dessaix muses on growing old – gracefully or otherwise – in The Time of Our Lives.
- Visit The new craft cocktail bar at Forty Spotted Gin in Hobart and craft your very own bottle for keeps in the Gin-stitute.
- Buy Milie Organic soap products made in Tas with local ingredients. Treat yourself to a pamper session.
- Plant Tomatoes, eggplant cucumbers
- Harvest Zucchini, peas, potatoes
Disclaimer: During this climate, we recommend you research any events before heading off to make sure they're still going ahead.